Old 14-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Binary Era

Default Fairy Rings

nambucca wrote:

I could scream they are wrecking my lawn

A Fairy Ring grew on my lawn - the usual thing, eight feet across,
dead grass, etc. I dug out the soil to a depth of a foot, and replaced
it, planting new grass seed. It's been fine since then.....

......however, another one has appeared in a different place on the
same lawn, and two have appeared on the other lawn. I wasn't going
through that back-breaking effort again, so searched for a way of
dealing with them.

I couldn't find a way of eradicating them that was simple, but next
the best thing I found was to control them by spraying the fungus
heads with WD40 (this is not a joke). After a couple of days they
shrivel up and go black, disappearing in a week or ten days. If any
more appear, spray them too. By doing this, I appear to have stopped
the spread (the rings had not completely formed and are no bigger now
than two years ago), the grass quickly recovers, and is looking
unaffected by the fungus.

This seems to 'shock' the fungus, and I can get a whole season without
any appearing. As I say, the grass remains unaffected. To limit the
spray area, I use the plastic tube attachment to the nozzle. HTH.

--
Binary Era