Old 14-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Stan The Man

Default automatic watering - spray or leaky pipe ?

In article , NC wrote:

I'm considering installing a low pressure automatic watering system (eg.
Hozelock) for my vegetable garden. Reading old posts on Google suggests the
systems work reasonably well.

I have about a dozen strips of veg, each around 5m*1.2m, typically separated
by 1m grass strips (or in old measures, 16ft by 4ft, with nothing over 2ft
reach from the sides).

I'm not sure whether to use mini-sprayers or leaky-pipes.

(snip)

There's another less well-known option which is easier to install and
works extremely well - Hozelock sprinkler hose. It comes in 7.5 and 15m
lengths and attaches directly to the hose and then, I suggest, to the
tap via a Hozelock AC1+ water timer. The sprinkler hose is actually a
flat hose with a series of sprinkler nozzles inset at regular intervals
along its full length. It produces a dramatic series of sprinkler
geysers approx 6ft high and 4-5ft wide along a row of plants,
delivering a very thorough watering indeed. It can also be used upside
down so that the spray soaks into the ground instead. Imho, it's better
than leaky/soaker/seep/porous hose because it doesn't have to be so
close to the plants to be effective - plus it can water two rows at
once if laid down the middle. And it's just as automatic as any system
controlled by a timer.

The Hozelock micro irrigation system is excellent too - and unbeatable
for pots, tubs, growbags, hanging baskets, specimen plants, etc - but
it takes a couple of hours to set up. I would use the sprinkler hose
for rows of plants - and it can be up and running in a few minutes.

Simon