Old 14-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Suzie-Q

Default Q on Mosquito Fogger thingies...& dunks

In article , "LeeAnne"
wrote:

Living surrounded by woods and swampy areas the mosquito problem is
HORRENDOUS. Seriously, I step outside my backdoor and head toward the
flower garden and whammo, they're all over me.

West Nile is the least of my worries, I just cannot stand being attacked by
them. I've got a mosquito magnet going, but I think I'd need like three
more in various places to make a sizeable dent (it's caught a lot, but not
enough). A couple friends of mine have those backyard mosquito fogger
things - usually they'll pull them out at a BBQ and make a circle of the
yard parameter and I've wondered about them. I honestly don't recall how
well they worked (chalk that up to drinking at a BBQ all day) ;-)

Does anybody have experience w/these? Are they using a pesticide to
actually kill mosquitoes, thereby killing everything else too, or are they
just spraying a fog of mosquito deterrent around? I don't like the 'kill
everything' mentality, I hardly use any poisons (the occasional hornet/wasp
nest on the side of the house) and I'd hate to get a fogger and kill
everything living in the yard or area surrounding it.

Also, a Q on BT rings -- these only harm the mosquitoes, right? Even if a
gold fish took a nibble it wouldn't hurt them?

They're pretty bad here in central Texas, too. I've had some luck
with Off! Mosquito Coils (the ones you burn like incense). They last
about four hours. You could put two or three out while you're
gardening, surrounding yourself. Of course, they won't work if it's
windy out.

Is there any reason you don't want to use a spray (or cream) on your
body? They work well.

Raid Yard Guard works well, too. I don't know how it works -- if it kills
insects or just repels them or just mosquitoes. If you go to
alt.consumers.pest-control there are people there who could
probably tell you exactly how they work.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617