Old 14-06-2004, 08:07 PM
martyhab

Default [IBC] Bonsai from seeds

These are excellent questions from a beginner. Combined, they represent an
inquiry into the art of miniaturization, which is at the heart of bonsai
culture.
The first concept to absorb is the balancing of roots and superstructure.
If the roots are not constrained, they will force unwanted top growth; and
if the branches, which support the foliage, are not properly pruned, they
will force unwanted root growth.
Since the tree you describe is very young, you have the opportunity to train
it without much difficulty. The main consideration is the need for
patience. You say that your tree has very little branching and you want to
know how to encourage it. This is the easiest part of your work. Young
trees tend to push straight up in the attempt to gain the maximum sunlight.
Along the trunk, you should find lots of buds and small leaves. In your
mind's eye, determine how you would like the branches to be situated on the
trunk in order to develop a triangular shape. You might sit down and draw a
picture. Then select a bud about 1/3 up the trunk from which you want to
create your lowest branch. Then look for a bud on the opposite side of the
trunk and a bit higher than the first. Now remove all buds below the second
branch except for the two selected ones. Now look for a bud to the rear of
the trunk and higher than #2 branch. Again, remove any buds between the
rear bud and #2. Next, repeat the 1,2,3 procedure, as you go up the trunk,
removing unwanted buds as you go.
Now you may not find buds exactly where you want them. Leave an imaginary
space for them and go on to the next bud selection as though the missing bud
were already there.
If your response is that there are NO buds showing, your job is easy ...
just wait until they DO appear. Patience, my friend, patience.
Marty