Old 14-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Brian Watson

Default Advice needed

"auntie_biotic" wrote in message
Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in

particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not

wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put

up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

Put plenty of sharp sand around your plants as if it were a mulch.

Out as far as 6" from the base of each plant is probably overdoing it
slightly, but you'd be sure to spare the plants (sharp sand is cheap
enough!) and you'll leave the slugs in a fit state for the hedgehogs to eat.

:-)

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."