Old 14-06-2004, 08:30 PM
auntie_biotic

Default Advice needed

Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

--
auntie_biotic

T B and U

http://www.tbandu.co.uk

Old 14-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Brian Watson

"auntie_biotic" wrote in message
Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in

particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not

wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put

up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

Put plenty of sharp sand around your plants as if it were a mulch.

Out as far as 6" from the base of each plant is probably overdoing it
slightly, but you'd be sure to spare the plants (sharp sand is cheap
enough!) and you'll leave the slugs in a fit state for the hedgehogs to eat.

:-)

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 14-06-2004, 10:10 PM

My best advice to you is just go out with torch between 12AM and 2 Am and
collect them.
When we first moved here we were collecting 20 to 30 slugs per night for
about a week and then problem has gone.

Old 14-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Bob Smith

"auntie_biotic" wrote in message
Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in

particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not

wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put

up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

--
auntie_biotic

T B and U

http://www.tbandu.co.uk

I have heard they like beer - if you leave a saucer or buried bowl with beer
in, they can't resist, and drown. Don't know what the hedgehog would think
to snail in ale though.

Bob

Old 14-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Just Molly

"auntie_biotic" wrote in message
Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in

particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not

wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put

up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

Sink a jar half filled with beer and drown them, surround the base of the
plant with salt or crushed eggshells or sharp sand or go out at night with a
torch and pick them off and squish them.

Old 15-06-2004, 12:13 AM
denis glover

Read somewhere that broken egg shells spread around the plants stop slugs.
Something to do with them not going over sharp objects.Suppose sharp sand
acts in the same way.

Old 15-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:50:33 +0100, "auntie_biotic"
wrote:

Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not wish
to poison it.

Ditto with the shoo-fly.
If you don't mind using chemicals, there is some stuff you water on,
(called, I think, Slugit). It has been effective on my hostas and I
don't think it will affect the hedgehogs. You would need to read the
label before using it. It is a milky liquid that you mix in a can of
water.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Dave

wrote:

Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

If you have a bonfire collect a little of the ash and spread it around
your plants. Slugs and snails hate it!
Old 15-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Poris Bisslinger

wrote:

Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

Sand, ash netting etc can all be used successfully. Like anything,
keeping bugs off your plants is like gardening, hard work and needing
constant attention. Working with nature is by far the most
satisfactory form of gardening.

If you have a bonfire collect a little of the ash and spread it around
your plants. Slugs and snails hate it!

Very good tip and works a treat.

People need to bear in mind, nature in it's beauty is not a perfect
form and never meant to be. Kill the natural side of gardening and it
really is pointless.

Why they let retards out into the gardening world I'll never
understand, if gardening really is such a problem why don't they just
look at pictures?

To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch
for signs of activity: Black bear scat is smaller and contains berries;
grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

Old 16-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

wrote:

Hope I can get some advice. Slugs are eating my young plants, in particular
my "Shoo fly". I have been using blue slug pellets. I cannot use them
anymore as a hedgehog is eating the slugs during the night and I do not wish
to poison it.

My question is how can I stop slugs eating my plants or should I just put up
with damage as part of nature.
Thanks in advance

Last week I started putting orange peel in my garden.

Now at night when I shine my torch over the garden, all the slugs and
snails are eating the pith and leaving my plants alone.

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"

advice needed for spring cleaning ande Ponds 4 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
Grapefruit tree advice needed David Shalita Edible Gardening 0 01-05-2003 04:08 AM
Plant Newbie Advice Needed Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-02-2003 01:53 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM