Old 15-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Brian

Default Gladiolus question!!

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:06:04 +0100, "Tracy"
wrote:

And Brian, *that* had crossed my mind - but they flowered early end of

May
last year!! I have checked the green spike leaves closely and cant see
anything resembling a flower forming. But will wait and see!

Tracy, a chap withan allotment near me has a lot of gladioli in one
part of his plot, left in overwinter. They are nowhere near flowering
so maybe Brian is right and you may get flowers later.
Others have commented on things being late this year, so don't give up
hope yet.

Pam in Bristol

Tracy~~~ I honestly feel that you are mistaken about the month of
previous flowering.
There are species that flower before now, such as G. byzantinus but the
normal Glads. are listed as 'Late July to September'. I am not sure if they
are 'day-length orientated' but it is genuinely too early to even see buds
at this time. They can be forced earlier but that is not what you are
attempting.
Best Wishes. Brian.