Old 15-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Bob S.

Default Homemade Deer Repellent

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
Bob S. wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in message ...

Bob S. wrote:

(Boyk7808) wrote in message . com...

Combine the two filtered liquids with the ammonia and oil soap in a 3
gallon garden sprayer. Fill the sprayer to the maximum level with
water, and spray mixture around all areas you want to protect. For
extra stickiness, float the bar of Ivory soap in the sprayer.

For maximum effectiveness, reapply weekly as well as after rains. If
deer browsing is intense, spray more frequently.

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

Dave

Double ought buck in a twelve gauge works pretty well also, and you
don't have to worry about reapplying after a rain.

Bob S.

I wonder if a high-powered .177 pellet gun would keep them away without
really doing any damage.

Bob

A pellet gun is normally as powerful as a .22 within 50 ft. range. I
once killed a fair size buck at the edge of my garden with a .22 with
a shot to the forehead. Dropped in his tracks stone dead! On a tragic
note, I know of a case where a young boy accidently killed his mother
when a .177 pellet hit her in the back of the head. Pellet guns need
to be handled with care.

Bob S.

They do need to be handled with care and respect, but your analogy is
way off. A standard velocity .22 LR (fired from 20 to 24" barrel) has
100 foot-pounds if energy at the muzzle, and about 80fp at 50 yards. A
.22 short HP has 62 fp at 50 yards, and a "target" .22 short has about
36 fp at 50 yards. It's been a while since I figured the muzzle energy
of my RWS pellet gun, but I think it was about 10 or 12 foot-pounds. A
.177 pellet goes supersonic at less than 20 foot-pounds, and there are
very few pellet guns capable of supersonic velocities (not that you want
a pellet to go supersonic)

So even a wimpy .22 Short target cartridge (does anybody use those?) has
over twice the energy at 50 yards than a pellet gun does at the muzzle.

I really don't think a wadcutter ("match") or hollow-point pellet
(beeman "crow magnum") would penetrate the hide of a deer, but it
oughtta sting like hell. A pointed- or rounded-nosed pellet might
penetrate, I dunno.

You are right. I was comparing velocity(fps) rather than energy.
Velocity can be higher in a pellet gun than a .22lr (1250fps vs
1000fps). Here we can get into the old argument of speed vs weight,
but I won't. I can get a pointed pellet to pass through 1/4" plywood
at 15 yds, and I think that would relate to hide penetration.

Bob S.