Old 15-06-2004, 01:06 PM
jane

Default hemerocallis Gall Midge

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:08:59 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~All our Day Lilies have this this year (and so do other gardens locally I
~notice), the flower buds are all misshapen and full of the little maggots.
~Anyone know what to do to cure the situation?
~I know I should pull off all the flowers and burn them but will that stop it
~for future years?
~So, is there no point in growing these any more unless I can replace them
~with late flowerers which will miss the breeding season for this little
~....... midge?

I think that if you pull them off promptly for a few years (least the
infected ones are easy to spot!), none of the midges get to maturity
and so you get fewer galls the next year, etc. I have some unaffected
(hoorah!) this year in my early patch after about three years of 100%.

Though my favourite one is a late flowerer - and hasn't yet shown any
stems, so I hope it's not sulking...

--
jane

Mark Twain