Old 14-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Bob Hobden

Default hemerocallis Gall Midge

All our Day Lilies have this this year (and so do other gardens locally I
notice), the flower buds are all misshapen and full of the little maggots.
Anyone know what to do to cure the situation?
I know I should pull off all the flowers and burn them but will that stop it
for future years?
So, is there no point in growing these any more unless I can replace them
with late flowerers which will miss the breeding season for this little
........ midge?

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 15-06-2004, 01:06 PM
jane

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:08:59 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~All our Day Lilies have this this year (and so do other gardens locally I
~notice), the flower buds are all misshapen and full of the little maggots.
~Anyone know what to do to cure the situation?
~I know I should pull off all the flowers and burn them but will that stop it
~for future years?
~So, is there no point in growing these any more unless I can replace them
~with late flowerers which will miss the breeding season for this little
~....... midge?

I think that if you pull them off promptly for a few years (least the
infected ones are easy to spot!), none of the midges get to maturity
and so you get fewer galls the next year, etc. I have some unaffected
(hoorah!) this year in my early patch after about three years of 100%.

Though my favourite one is a late flowerer - and hasn't yet shown any
stems, so I hope it's not sulking...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Recommendation for online Hemerocallis source? Jo Ann Gardening 12 04-07-2006 01:49 PM
Midge Eater Ronnie United Kingdom 11 05-05-2006 11:25 PM
hemerocallis lost names; can someone help? (0/1) Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 12-04-2006 01:17 PM
Hemerocallis Gilly United Kingdom 2 30-08-2005 12:08 PM
Relocating Hemerocallis Blues Ma Gardening 11 27-07-2004 03:20 AM