Old 15-06-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Q on Mosquito Fogger thingies...& dunks

you need to get it going during the first hatch of the year. it works by removing
females from the population and preventing them from laying eggs. we got my mother's
MM going and the bag was full of skeeters but they were still in attack mode last
weekend. she didnt get it going soon enough and then unplugged it when we did get it
going for her.
mosquito dunks in the wet areas. and surprisingly, those with ponds loaded with
fish and frogs remove a LOT of skeeters from the area. my friend lives in a low
lying marsh area, she is a water plant wholesaler and loads of ponds everywhere...
plenty of dragonflies, frogs, fish in the ponds and almost no skeeter problem.
try spraying your clothes and hat with deet containing stuff, let it dry and put it
on. I dont get it on my skin. I use a mosquito hat if it is really bad enough.
Ingrid

"LeeAnne" wrote:
Living surrounded by woods and swampy areas the mosquito problem is
HORRENDOUS. Seriously, I step outside my backdoor and head toward the
flower garden and whammo, they're all over me.

West Nile is the least of my worries, I just cannot stand being attacked by
them. I've got a mosquito magnet going, but I think I'd need like three
more in various places to make a sizeable dent (it's caught a lot, but not
enough). A couple friends of mine have those backyard mosquito fogger
things - usually they'll pull them out at a BBQ and make a circle of the
yard parameter and I've wondered about them. I honestly don't recall how
well they worked (chalk that up to drinking at a BBQ all day) ;-)

Does anybody have experience w/these? Are they using a pesticide to
actually kill mosquitoes, thereby killing everything else too, or are they
just spraying a fog of mosquito deterrent around? I don't like the 'kill
everything' mentality, I hardly use any poisons (the occasional hornet/wasp
nest on the side of the house) and I'd hate to get a fogger and kill
everything living in the yard or area surrounding it.

Also, a Q on BT rings -- these only harm the mosquitoes, right? Even if a
gold fish took a nibble it wouldn't hurt them?

Thank you,
LeeAnne
-bitten in Boston-

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List