Old 15-06-2004, 09:07 PM
TQPL

Default new large culms aborting in established Phyllostachys

Hi Mullens,

Thanks for your input. I don't know if the larg
culms have already made roots that go deeper than
the rest of the clump before sprouting and so get
'drowned'. It would be difficult to asertain.
Hope your bamboo plants on your stream bank are
doing well.

It it frustrating here, the tips at 2-5ft height
seem to stall as they twist and get trapped in the
culm sheaths. The terminal leaves wither and then
the culm dies back from the tip. Never seen this
happen before.
Almost as though there is a weevil inside but
cannot see any signs on examination.

Driving me nuts here.
Alan(inUK)

"mullens" wrote
in message ...

I am interested in this. My guess - and it is

just a guess, is that

the larger diameter culms "start" lower down -

closer to the water table
and it is excess water that is the cause. I

claim no expertise at all.

It seems to be natural for some culms to abort -

but normally the first
ones out seem to survive.