Old 16-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Hal

Default Lotus planting

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:35:42 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

Hi all. A little while back I posted a few questions about tubers and
planting lotus. I still need help. I planted it in about 5 inches of
soil, covered with maybe 3/4" of pea gravel, crown above this, parallel and
close to the edge, about an inch below the lip. Its only about 4" below the
water in the shadiest part of my nearly full sun pond. I was told my pot
was very small. I dont think it would have mattered if I had a 100 gal pot.
The first leaf rose wasnt real happy - maybe 7", yellow lime colored. It
immediately sent out a runner right over the edge of the pot, into the pond
and has since added several more. The leaves that rise are maybe 2",
quickly turn from yellow to brown and die. Other than the pot I musta done
something wrong. Should I break off at a rooted joint and replant it. If
so what do I do differently.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

I saw a lotus planted in about a 30 gallon pot, the half barrel size,
that was doing well. Pete told me he filled the pot half full of
dirt, about 8 to 10", because his first try with less dirt wasn't
successful. Better luck on your next try.

Regards,

Hal