Old 15-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Lotus planting

Hi all. A little while back I posted a few questions about tubers and
planting lotus. I still need help. I planted it in about 5 inches of
soil, covered with maybe 3/4" of pea gravel, crown above this, parallel and
close to the edge, about an inch below the lip. Its only about 4" below the
water in the shadiest part of my nearly full sun pond. I was told my pot
was very small. I dont think it would have mattered if I had a 100 gal pot.
The first leaf rose wasnt real happy - maybe 7", yellow lime colored. It
immediately sent out a runner right over the edge of the pot, into the pond
and has since added several more. The leaves that rise are maybe 2",
quickly turn from yellow to brown and die. Other than the pot I musta done
something wrong. Should I break off at a rooted joint and replant it. If
so what do I do differently.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 15-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
[...]

The fact that runners are going out, and that the plant is sending up leaves
would tell me that your planting is OK. It sounds to me like it needs to be
fertilized. Have you ever dosed the pond with potash? My plants tend to
yellow, until I does with potash.

BV.

Old 16-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Hal

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:35:42 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

[...]

I saw a lotus planted in about a 30 gallon pot, the half barrel size,
that was doing well. Pete told me he filled the pot half full of
dirt, about 8 to 10", because his first try with less dirt wasn't
successful. Better luck on your next try.

Regards,

Hal
Old 18-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Mosfunland

The first leaf rose wasnt real happy - maybe 7", yellow lime colored. It
immediately sent out a runner right over the edge of the pot, into the pond
and has since added several more. The leaves that rise are maybe 2",
quickly turn from yellow to brown and die.

You might need to feed the lotus with a plant tab that you push down into the
soil of the pot. The lime to yellow could be a sign of potassium
deficiency....the fact that the tuber has run over the pot is nothing
new....lotus love to run...beware when they do grow out of the pot, they become
gargantuan and do not come out without a struggle...(experience here). But the
fact that the lotus has run the pot, gives hope that the tuber is healthy and
trying to grow like it should. Next year you can pull up the pot and repot if
you want to. You can try to redirect the runners, back into the pot, but they
do seem to have an imprinted GPS system that tells them to cover every part of
the open areas....

Maureen

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
What planting medium for Lotus. Mickey Ponds 6 11-05-2004 04:05 AM
Lotus Planting Depth Dan Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:22 AM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM
planting Lotus help needed Bryan Ponds 3 30-05-2003 04:20 PM