Old 17-06-2004, 08:03 AM
escapee

Default Owl ID

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:22:36 GMT, Salty Thumb
opined:

Frogleg wrote in
:

I couldn't find a suitable binary group for birds, so I posted 'which
owl?' to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. A friend sent me photos of
owls in her back yard. What a treat!

Looks like an immature Great Horned Owl to me.

top picture
http://www.owlpages.com/species/bubo...athorned4.html

They've got some other pictures of bubo virginianus, but they don't look
anything like the one in the link. They've got some mp3s of owl noises, if
that helps.

We have a Great Horned in our yard. It lives in one of our live oaks. I hear
it every night. It scared the crap out of me one night when I was taking a very
late (2am) hot tub. I couldn't sleep. It swooped down near the pond silently,
which is right next to the hot tub and we both freaked out! At first, I thought
it was a bat, but there is no mistaking this huge specimen of perfection.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?