Old 17-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Good atlas for Georgia plants?

You'll have a good source of information in your Georgia native plant
society. www.gnps.org

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:03:05 -0000, (Bill Oliver)
wrote:

As I have mentioned in a previous posting, I am partially clearing and
landscaping a 5 acre lot, a little at a time. A large part of the lot
is covered by essentially impassable brush, but some had been partially
cleared before I got the place and has exuberant native shade ground
cover. As I was looking at some of these a few days ago, I thought to
myself "Gee, some of these are very attractive. Why should I go out
and buy a bunch of ground cover when I could probably just transplant
these?"

However, these plants are not flowering right now -- if they ever do.
They are pretty just as ground cover foilage. And there are a bunch of
different kinds (too many to post pictures of); some are broadleafed
and grow low to the ground, some have narrow leaves and grow four to
six inches high, lots of native ferns, etc. I would like to know what
they are and what to expect were I to try to move them. I don't want
to repeat the experience I had where I previously lived of making a
very attractive hedge of what I later found out to be poison sumac. It
was pretty, it was volunteer, it was hardy, and I could shape it as
much as I needed to. I was a bit distraught, however, when it sent my
neighbor to the hospital.

Can anybody point me to a good atlas of native NW Georgia plants? Most
of the books I have seen are for wildflowers, which doesn't really help
for these.

Thanks!

billo

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold