Old 15-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Good atlas for Georgia plants?

As I have mentioned in a previous posting, I am partially clearing and
landscaping a 5 acre lot, a little at a time. A large part of the lot
is covered by essentially impassable brush, but some had been partially
cleared before I got the place and has exuberant native shade ground
cover. As I was looking at some of these a few days ago, I thought to
myself "Gee, some of these are very attractive. Why should I go out
and buy a bunch of ground cover when I could probably just transplant
these?"

However, these plants are not flowering right now -- if they ever do.
They are pretty just as ground cover foilage. And there are a bunch of
different kinds (too many to post pictures of); some are broadleafed
and grow low to the ground, some have narrow leaves and grow four to
six inches high, lots of native ferns, etc. I would like to know what
they are and what to expect were I to try to move them. I don't want
to repeat the experience I had where I previously lived of making a
very attractive hedge of what I later found out to be poison sumac. It
was pretty, it was volunteer, it was hardy, and I could shape it as
much as I needed to. I was a bit distraught, however, when it sent my
neighbor to the hospital.

Can anybody point me to a good atlas of native NW Georgia plants? Most
of the books I have seen are for wildflowers, which doesn't really help
for these.

Thanks!

billo
Old 15-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Can anybody point me to a good atlas of native NW Georgia
plants? Most
of the books I have seen are for wildflowers, which doesn't

really help
for these.

Check with your county extension agent. Check the University of
Georgia Press website. I'd bet there's a choice of Georgia plant
books. There's a great one for SOUTH Georgia.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 17-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

You'll have a good source of information in your Georgia native plant
society. www.gnps.org

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:03:05 -0000, (Bill Oliver)
wrote:

[...]

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] blue atlas cedar Kitsune Miko Bonsai 2 24-07-2005 06:39 PM
[IBC] Airlayer Blue Atlas Cedar? MartyWeiser Bonsai 0 01-05-2005 01:29 AM
atlas adam Plant Science 8 12-09-2003 08:32 PM
Charles Atlas wannabe! Cereoid-UR12- Plant Science 1 12-09-2003 07:22 PM
Georgia Gardens Listings Sandy's Newsgroups Gardening 0 25-01-2003 12:08 PM