Old 17-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Default Passiflora edulis for mild west coast temps??

(Sean Megason) in
m:

Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestion of varieties of Passiflora edulis
(Passion Fruit) that do well on the west coast? I live in Santa
Monica, CA a few miles from the beach so the tempearute is very mild.
It never freezes and doesn't break 80 very much. I am currently
growing Passiflora edulis 'Frederick'. It makes tasty fruit but it
doesn't grow or flower except July-September. The rest of the year it
just sits there. I think Frederick must need more heat to grow well
(our tomato plants never grow either). I have a Passiflora incarnata
that grows vigourously, flowers, and fruits prolifically for the whole
year but the fruit are inedible. Is there a P. edulis that grows as
well as P. incarnata?
Sean

might search for high elevatoin tropics passifloras

and check crfg.org

tomato
years ago i saw a tomato on coastal OC, near a SW facing stucco wall. i
wasn't sure if it was a seedling or if someone had actually planted it.
i saw it in october or later (rainy already) or similar cool weather.
unfortunately i was at a distance, so i couldn't tell if the plant had
ever flowered, but it looked ok.