Old 17-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Default Crocosomia

(Fleemo) in
om:

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These are
new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should deadhead.
Will that extend blooming?

These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially invasive.

Aren't Crocosmia incredible? Mine are blooming right now as well, and
are putting on a dazzling display. This is really my first season
with them (as I was on vacation when they bloomed last year), so I
can't advise as to dead heading. But I can tell you that how invasive
they are depends upon the variety. I have Crocosmia Lucifer, a deep
red-orange flower, and they aren't invasive at all. Though at 4.5",
they did get a lot taller than I thought they would.

mine i thought were lucifer, but the flowers are very brief and non-
showy. they are (only) about as impressive as chasmanthe, which is
bigger plant, but seeds less (ie, more controllable)

their first year, they ddin't bloom unitl really late. btu since then
they've settled inot the expected mediterranean bulb cycle, very similar
ot chasmanthe. i think even the iirigated clumps are dried down now.

I've heard that
some of the other Crocosmia are rather invasive. If they get out of
hand, you might replace them with the Lucifer.

i plan on that. first i need to eradicate these. :-)

-Fleemo