Old 17-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Jim Lewis

Default Crocosomia

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These are
new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should deadhead.
Will that extend blooming?

These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially invasive.

Jim Lewis - - Rivers are ribbons that tie us
to the spirit of the land - Jeff Rennicke

Old 17-06-2004, 01:04 AM
SugarChile

I've never tried deadheading. They do spread, but for me that is a
desirable trait. I would not consider them at all invasive. The clump just
keeps getting larger; they don't seed about or show up all over the place.

I almost lost mine in the drought (3 years running, 2 years ago) and they
haven't bloomed in years. We had a decent year last year, and it's shaping
up to be one of the best growing seasons in memory this year, and they are
looking promising. The hummingbirds like them.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 17-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Fleemo

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These are
new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should deadhead.
Will that extend blooming?

These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially invasive.

Aren't Crocosmia incredible? Mine are blooming right now as well, and
are putting on a dazzling display. This is really my first season
with them (as I was on vacation when they bloomed last year), so I
can't advise as to dead heading. But I can tell you that how invasive
they are depends upon the variety. I have Crocosmia Lucifer, a deep
red-orange flower, and they aren't invasive at all. Though at 4.5",
they did get a lot taller than I thought they would. I've heard that
some of the other Crocosmia are rather invasive. If they get out of
hand, you might replace them with the Lucifer.

-Fleemo
Old 17-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:28:55 -0400, "Jim Lewis"
wrote:

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These are
new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should deadhead.
Will that extend blooming?

These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially invasive.

Deadheading won't produce any more blooms. What you see is what you
get, like most bulbs/corms. I imagine deadheading to keep energy from
going into seed production would apply.

They *are* considered invasive in many places, but not like some
spreading weed. The corms simply reproduce often. They like a lot of
sun.

Mine aren't blooming yet. I'll go out and speak to them. :-)
Old 17-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Fleemo

Though at 4.5", they did get a lot taller than I thought they would.

Make that 4.5 FEET!

-F
Old 18-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Jim Lewis

wrote:

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These

are
new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should

deadhead.
Will that extend blooming?

These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially

invasive.

Deadheading won't produce any more blooms. What you see is what

you
get, like most bulbs/corms. I imagine deadheading to keep

energy from
going into seed production would apply.

That's what I figures . . . but I hoped. ;-) The individual
flowers don't seem to last long (already have a red-orange
blanket on the ground) and I hoped to extend growing season. I
suppose our 95-degree days don't help.

They *are* considered invasive in many places, but not like

some
spreading weed. The corms simply reproduce often. They like a

lot of
sun.

Mine are in easily controlled areas so as long as they don't
scatter seeds they won't be a problem.