Old 17-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Asparagus Disaster

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

news:WMSdnd-j4rMtgE3dRVn-jg@comc
ast.com...
a substantial infestation of a dark colored insect about 1 cm long.
Has my asparagus been struck by a blight or is this the work of the insects
observed?

These are the larvae of the asparagus beetle.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/asparagu.htm

It is very possible that without Pat edible gardening in the US would
come to an end (to be added to the FAQ).

If that were true, I should be able to keep my own asparagus thriving.
Which I can't. I've got one good plant left. They go to sleep in the fall
and just don't wake up.

Some pests I know a lot about because I've seen them often...

I'll always remember the people who helped me learn about gardening
when I first came online on the Prodigy service years ago. I'm standing
on the shoulders of giants, as it were. (Special thanks to Bargyla Rateaver.)

And we all owe thanks to Scott Jung, who did the hard work of moving r.g.e
through the process of becoming a Usenet group.

(attributed to Don Marti)