Old 16-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Jerome R. Long

Default Asparagus Disaster

During April and early May I enjoyed asparagus from an apparently healthy
bed that I planted eight years ago. On May 15, I stopped cutting and left
for a YangXi River Cruise in China. When I returned on June 1, I found my
asparagus had grown to a height of six feet and was totally defoliated.
The stalks were green, but the fern-like limbs were brown. I observed quite
a substantial infestation of a dark colored insect about 1 cm long.
Has my asparagus been struck by a blight or is this the work of the insects
observed? I intend to cut the bed back to the ground, fertilize and see what
happens. Any insights on what happened and what should be done? I live in
Southwest Virginia. The weather while I was gone was apparently pretty wet.
The rest of the gardent did great.

Old 16-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Jerome R. Long said:

During April and early May I enjoyed asparagus from an apparently healthy
bed that I planted eight years ago. On May 15, I stopped cutting and left
for a YangXi River Cruise in China. When I returned on June 1, I found my
asparagus had grown to a height of six feet and was totally defoliated.
The stalks were green, but the fern-like limbs were brown. I observed quite
a substantial infestation of a dark colored insect about 1 cm long.
Has my asparagus been struck by a blight or is this the work of the insects
observed?

These are the larvae of the asparagus beetle.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/asparagu.htm

I intend to cut the bed back to the ground, fertilize and see what
happens. Any insights on what happened and what should be done?

The ferns aren't diseased. I wouldn't remove any parts that are still green
as the plant still has use for them. It will throw up new spears.

Strip off any larvae still feeding on the plants (or use a pesticide to kill them
if that's what you prefer). You can use a whisk broom to brush them off.

Wasps are natural predators of the asparagus beetle. There is a small wasp
which parasitized the larvae. Paper wasps will feed on larvae and carry them
off to their nest. It is also claimed that lady bugs will feed on the eggs and
young larvae.

Organic controls:
Adult asparagus beetles can be knocked off the growing ferns into a bucket of
soapy water.

Make sure the plants have enough phosphorous. Dust plants with colloidal rock
phosphate or bone meal.

Fall cleanup is essential. Remove all dead fronds and lightly cultivate around
the base of the plants (don't disturb the crowns or roots).

Neem extract.

Pyrethrin sprays.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 17-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

ast.com...
a substantial infestation of a dark colored insect about 1 cm long.
Has my asparagus been struck by a blight or is this the work of the insects
observed?

These are the larvae of the asparagus beetle.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/asparagu.htm

It is very possible that without Pat edible gardening in the US would
come to an end (to be added to the FAQ).

If that were true, I should be able to keep my own asparagus thriving.
Which I can't. I've got one good plant left. They go to sleep in the fall
and just don't wake up.

Some pests I know a lot about because I've seen them often...

I'll always remember the people who helped me learn about gardening
when I first came online on the Prodigy service years ago. I'm standing
on the shoulders of giants, as it were. (Special thanks to Bargyla Rateaver.)

And we all owe thanks to Scott Jung, who did the hard work of moving r.g.e
through the process of becoming a Usenet group.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-06-2004, 03:06 AM
Mary McHugh

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

It is very possible that without Pat edible gardening in the US would
come to an end (to be added to the FAQ).

....snippage... oh, I mean pruning...
I'll always remember the people who helped me learn about gardening
when I first came online on the Prodigy service years ago. I'm standing
on the shoulders of giants, as it were. (Special thanks to Bargyla Rateaver.)

And we all owe thanks to Scott Jung, who did the hard work of moving r.g.e
through the process of becoming a Usenet group.

Pat, you *are* helpful in the spirit of Kay Klier, who has apparently
gone on to a real life (is there life beyond USENET?).

While I'm reminiscing, I think my two favorite threads here (actually,
rec.gardens before the split) were "Moron growing Basil" and "Help with
Golfers in garden". The latter had my side splitting from all the witty
advice.

Oh, and to stay on-topic, I agree with the asparagus beetle advice. It
happened to mine the 2nd year and they mostly recovered tho I did lose a
few. I managed to keep them at bay in subsequent years with
insecticidal soap.

Mary