Old 17-06-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Pine Tree Question

"Lecher9000" wrote in message
Some vines are growing into my pine trees. These vines have broad, 7
pointed leaves on them. Will the vines hurt the pines? Should I pull out

the
vines ? Or is it a "symbiotic" relationship of some sort ? I don't know

what
variety of pines they are. The pines are about 6 to 8 feet tall, and look
prety healthy except for some dead branches near the bottom. Lots of new

growth
this spring, but some dead branches on the bottoms from the cold winter

here in
Pa.

You have Virginia creeper on your pine trees. It is a symbiotic
relationship and will, in no way, harm your trees. Some people, however, do
not like the looks of Virginia creeper on their trees. If you are one of
these people, there is an easy way to remove the vines. Go to your nearest
swimming pool supply store and purchase a gallon of muriatic acid. Pour the
muriatic acid, undiluted, into a pump-up sprayer and spray onto the leaves
of the Virginia creeper. The vines will turn brown and die within three
hours. If you have any muriatic acic left over it makes a great substitute
for tonic water in your daily toddy. Because of its peculiar flavor, it
completely eliminates the need for a twist of lime or lemon.

Cheers!