Old 17-06-2004, 07:07 PM
how

Default Settling Chamber out of 70g stock tank - How to create drain system (for flat bottomed tanks?)

Hi,
Don't tilt the tank in the ground - looks tacky. Tilt it to the desired
angle before installation and pour a concrete layer and when cured you have
a slanted bottom. A bulkhead fitting could be installed through the bottom
at the lowest point. Put the fitting in first and then the concrete. This
won't be optimal but better than a flat bottom.
The plan of creating a cone with liner in the soil is interesting but cones
work best if the water is delivered at a certain angle to the cone. Its the
turbulance thing again. I don't see this being practicle but if you do it
keep us posted.
Still don't think the Rubbermaid 70 gallon is big enough but it seems that
you have other mechanical filters in mind. Brushes work great also.
Personally never did the bead thing.
How is the 70 gallon tank going to the 50 gallon brush basin? Tell me you
are going to pump out of the 50 to the bead, right?
Remember ALL filters work, some better than others and some make you work
more.
HTH, -_- how
no NEWS is good for a reply

"Lisa" wrote in message
om...
How - Thanks for your input.

The setup would be: 4" bottom drain to 70g settle, feeding 50g
mechanical filter with brushes, feeding Ultima II 4000 bead filter,
feeding waterfall/stream. I'm not sure what pump I'll be using yet,
but It will be in the range of 2400gph to 3500gph. Since conventional
wisdom says a 4" pipe can handle 3000-3500 gph rather nicely.

I have a 2400-2500 gallon pond.

My "easy" thoughts are to slightly tilt the tank to one corner where a
drain would be installed. Yet there will be residual gunk on the
bottom due to the proposed tilt which would be very slight. I guess
the only other concept would be to somehow create a cone shape in the
tank but not sure what I can construct to accomplish that. Concrete?
Cut out bottom & dig the cone into the soil, liner it & have drain
there?

Still taking clever suggestions.