Old 17-06-2004, 03:10 AM
Lisa

Default Settling Chamber out of 70g stock tank - How to create drain system (for flat bottomed tanks?)

I've been weighing between digging a settle chamber out of liner or
using a 70g rubbermaid stock tank I have on hand. Today I'm leaning
towards the stock tank with a possible eye for upping it next season
or 2.

My ultimate pond goal is to have filter tanks that drain. Either via
pump or pulling a gate valve to a sump pit with sump pump.

This settle tank will be gravity fed and of course will be buried in
the ground.

But it's FLAT on the bottom. Does anyone have any clever ideas as to
how I can create the most maintenance free situation for this settle
chamber? How can I create a method to totally drain this tank to
remove settled solids?
Old 17-06-2004, 08:18 AM
how

Hi,
Settle chambers for mechanical filtration are the way to go, they don't
choke the pump even if dirty. Size and shape can make a difference because
the water must move slowly and not be agitated. The longer it stays in the
settle area the more settles out. A long narrow tank (basin) with the water
entering at the bottom of one end and pumped out from the top of the other
end can be effective. Longer and deeper is better, also consider keeping the
basin covered which removes the amount of water in the chamber from sun
exposure. The correct size is dependent on the ponds volume and pump size. I
don't know how big your pond is going to be but for example, if you are
using a 1500 gph pump to move water through the 70 gallon tank then the
water will be moving too fast to be really effective as a settle chamber.
If you go with the Rubbermaid a wet vac can be used to keep the bottom
clean. Because the bottom is flat using a valve to clean it would be
ineffective, it would work but could take a lot of water.
Remember you can't make one too big but you can make one too small.
There are vortex filters also where the water can move faster but they
'settle' things centrifugally. They also clean much easier. The best of
these are bought, IMO.
HTH, -_- how
no NEWS is good for a reply

"Lisa" wrote in message
om...
I've been weighing between digging a settle chamber out of liner or
using a 70g rubbermaid stock tank I have on hand.
snips

Old 17-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Lisa

How - Thanks for your input.

The setup would be: 4" bottom drain to 70g settle, feeding 50g
mechanical filter with brushes, feeding Ultima II 4000 bead filter,
feeding waterfall/stream. I'm not sure what pump I'll be using yet,
but It will be in the range of 2400gph to 3500gph. Since conventional
wisdom says a 4" pipe can handle 3000-3500 gph rather nicely.

I have a 2400-2500 gallon pond.

My "easy" thoughts are to slightly tilt the tank to one corner where a
drain would be installed. Yet there will be residual gunk on the
bottom due to the proposed tilt which would be very slight. I guess
the only other concept would be to somehow create a cone shape in the
tank but not sure what I can construct to accomplish that. Concrete?
Cut out bottom & dig the cone into the soil, liner it & have drain
there?

Still taking clever suggestions.

"how" wrote in message .. .
[...]

om...

Old 17-06-2004, 07:07 PM
how

Hi,
Don't tilt the tank in the ground - looks tacky. Tilt it to the desired
angle before installation and pour a concrete layer and when cured you have
a slanted bottom. A bulkhead fitting could be installed through the bottom
at the lowest point. Put the fitting in first and then the concrete. This
won't be optimal but better than a flat bottom.
The plan of creating a cone with liner in the soil is interesting but cones
work best if the water is delivered at a certain angle to the cone. Its the
turbulance thing again. I don't see this being practicle but if you do it
keep us posted.
Still don't think the Rubbermaid 70 gallon is big enough but it seems that
you have other mechanical filters in mind. Brushes work great also.
Personally never did the bead thing.
How is the 70 gallon tank going to the 50 gallon brush basin? Tell me you
are going to pump out of the 50 to the bead, right?
Remember ALL filters work, some better than others and some make you work
more.
HTH, -_- how
no NEWS is good for a reply

om...

Old 18-06-2004, 05:23 AM
Lisa

I'll think about the concrete thing. I'm worried about cracking as
I'm in z5a Chicago area.

Yes - I'm still up in the air & taking suggestions for a vortex/settle
chamber. However, the area is wooded & digging a 1,000 vortex is
going to be tricky.

The plan is:
Vortex/Settle chamber feeding to
50 gallon mechanical filter w/brushes feeding to
Ultima II 4,000 bead filter (mostly bio but some mech, holds about
50g?) feeding to pond

The 70g settle will feed the 50g mech via a piece of 4" pipe.
In the settle water from the 4" bottom drain would come in on the side
with a sweep inside the tank. The output would be in the side and
water would flow into the mech chamber high & in the center of the 70g
(surface area). The plan would then probably be suspend some brushes
around the output pipe - or create some sort of microscreen ot even
separate the input/output pipe by horizontal screen (which I figure
would take a long time to become completely blocked) then flowing into
mech brush chamber.

What is your settle/vortex like? I'm still taking suggestions on it
and am willing to nix the 70g stock tank idea for something better.

Old 18-06-2004, 04:05 PM
how

Hi,
Don't know for sure because I don't do winter but if the settle basin
survives frost heaves I think the small amount of concrete in the bottom
would also. Perhaps someone from 'up there' can help. Back to the 70 gallon
tank, having the water enter at the mid point on the surface (correct me if
needed) wastes the limited potential of this basin as a settle chamber.
Point- the water has already 'settled' somewhat at the bottom drain in the
pond, leave it on the bottom of the tank. Settling takes time, don't make
the particulate matter settle again. Bring the water from the pond to the
bottom of the tank and at one end. Remove the water from the top at the
other end (standpipe/s with brush works). This makes the water stay in the
chamber longer and when it comes to settling slow is the way to go.
I have never used vortex filters myself (yes I've made barrel filters with
sort of centrifugal filtering) but am familiar with them and how they work.
I saw these http://www.suburbanpond.com/biofilter.htm at a pond show years
ago and was impressed, there are many others also. My best efforts use the
straight line approach (like the 70 gallon) and if built big enough work
very well. http://pondworld.com/filter.html
Mechanical filters don't remove anything from ponds they just hold it for us
to remove, so things like screens, mats, brushes used before the pump will
clog and must be included in the maintenance program.

om...

Old 19-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Lisa

Yes - that's how it will be. Bottom drain enters bottom area, water
leaves settle/vortex from the top. In the middle of the tank.

Just looking for ways to drain it easy. Wish I could heat gun it a
bit to dip down in the center, but I don't have the know-how or tools.
So I'll probably just tilt the tank to one corner.

"how" wrote in message ...
[...]

om...

Flat Bottomed Urns AJP Ponds 1 30-05-2011 10:55 PM
Settling Chamber out of 70g stock tank - How to create drain system (for flat bottomed tanks?) Lisa Ponds 0 19-06-2004 10:07 AM
Settling Chamber out of 70g stock tank - How to create drain system Sean Dinh Ponds 0 19-06-2004 01:09 AM
Settling Chamber out of 70g stock tank - How to create drain system (for ... Karen Mullen Ponds 0 18-06-2004 07:03 AM
Settling chamber plans Cybe R. Wizard Ponds 8 07-05-2003 05:08 AM