Old 18-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Trish Brown

Default Good tree/shrub, long lasting for a first birthday

Christopher Smith wrote:

In article , Andrew G
wrote:

Hi everyone.
I've heard of it, and I'm sure some of you here have done it.
Planting a tree/shrub etc on a childs first birthday.
We want to do it for our daughter, and while I can think of a few to use, I
am hoping someone has done it with the following needs:

There is always the ubiquitous rose bush, with the added benefit of a
Œcuteš cultivar name (ŒAngel Faceš leaps to mind - quite a nice rose
too).

With a bit of care, it would outlast any of us...

LOL! Don't do what we did and plant a Lemon Scented Gum tree! The kid is nearly
thirty now and the tree is gigantonormous in our tiny suburban back yard!

Also, your daughter may be joined by siblings later, so you might want to choose
something of which you can have more than one?

Illawarra Flame Tree? Wheel of Fire Tree? Red-Flowering Gum Tree? Or one of the
prettier grevillea cultivars?
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia