Old 18-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Jim Lewis

Default Crocosomia

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:28:55 -0400, "Jim Lewis"

wrote:

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These

are
new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should

deadhead.
Will that extend blooming?

These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially

invasive.

Deadheading won't produce any more blooms. What you see is what

you
get, like most bulbs/corms. I imagine deadheading to keep

energy from
going into seed production would apply.

That's what I figures . . . but I hoped. ;-) The individual
flowers don't seem to last long (already have a red-orange
blanket on the ground) and I hoped to extend growing season. I
suppose our 95-degree days don't help.

They *are* considered invasive in many places, but not like

some
spreading weed. The corms simply reproduce often. They like a

lot of
sun.

Mine are in easily controlled areas so as long as they don't
scatter seeds they won't be a problem.

Jim Lewis - - Rivers are ribbons that tie us
to the spirit of the land - Jeff Rennicke