Old 19-06-2004, 03:02 AM
Roy

Default Lawn Tractor Tires

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:54:41 -0400, Mark
wrote:

===In article ,
says...
=== With large tractors water is deliberately inserted into the tyres to
=== maintain a low centre of gravity. I would not have thought this was the case
=== with your lawn tractor~~ but might be wrong.
=== Brian.
===Actually, it's usually a saline solution (to prevent
===freezing), and EXTREMELY corrosive.
===
===Have not ever seen it used in lawn tractors, and even
===uncommon in farm tractors these days.

They usually use calcium chloride to fill tires for ballast. Its not
uncommon to find lawn and garden tractors with filled tires either
especially if they are used with any ground engaging implements or
snow blowers etc. Another thing thats commonly used in smaller amounts
in smaller tires is windshield washer anti freeze.

Calcium chloride is extremely corrosive, and a leak can cause quite a
problem in a rim further down the road, so its best to use it in tubes
insteadof in tubeless type tires to keep it away from the steel
wheels.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.