Old 19-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Jim Sullivan

Default Moss Control

"Clayton1970" wrote in message
I'm pretty new to lawn and garden stuff and new to this newsgroup. I live
in
NW Washington and play hell with moss. It chokes out my lawn mower and
leaves large clumps all over my lawn when I am done. Is there a quick and
easy way to get rid of it with out damaging my grass?? My grass has come a
long way, but I would like to get rid of the moss.

In the middle of my second summer in the Pacific NorthWest and still
learning about my lawn. WIth regards to moss, I think that all you can do
is get it under control and then live with it. Go to Costco and get some
RidMoss (or something like that in a yellow and white bag). Spread that
around now. It will kill the moss and make your lawn look like hell for a
while (all that green from the moss becomes black) but this is the first
step.

If it's really thick, get out the garden rake or dethatcher and rake up the
dead moss. You'll need to wait until the fall to overseed, so if you want
to wait until then to do that, fine. Once you've got the moss out, I'd
dethatch and then overseed (some say get a split seeder to do that).

Finally, get into a regime of applying lime to the soil every spring or
fall. I had bad moss a year ago, but I've got it under control and I'm
reasonably happy with the lawn, with the exception of the crabgrass!

--
Jim Sullivan
seattle, washington