Old 19-06-2004, 10:09 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default plants for (quick) privacy

"MC" none wrote in message ...
hi all,

I want to grow a row of plants/trees (whatever) down one side of my

suburban
block to create some privacy and block out the ugly brick flats that look
directly into my backyard!

My old place had a nice private b'yard and I could stand/sit out by my

vegie
patch for as long as I wanted without feeling silly ... in this b'yard the
neighbours must think I'm nuts when I go and inspect my fruit trees,

vegies
etc. a few times a day! (I know I shouldn't worry what the neighbours

think,
but I do like my privacy! Oh, to live in the country!)

So, considering I'm a student on a budget, what is the least expensive and
fastest growing plants to put down my side fence for a privacy screen?

They
need to be at least 2 metres tall ... but the bigger the better! To cover

distance of about 4-5 metres! A big ask in a short period I know!

Cheers,
Mick

Acacias (ie wattle family) are mostly fast to very fast growing. A little
research will identify the species (of the hundreds) that will suit your
area and grow the size that you want. They are usually quite cheap. Some
species are short lived giving up after 5-10 years (but not all) and by then
you can have some other long lived species coming along. Try your nearest
forestry nursery for good advice and economical seedlings.

David