Old 16-06-2004, 10:06 AM
MC

Default plants for (quick) privacy

hi all,

I want to grow a row of plants/trees (whatever) down one side of my suburban
block to create some privacy and block out the ugly brick flats that look
directly into my backyard!

My old place had a nice private b'yard and I could stand/sit out by my vegie
patch for as long as I wanted without feeling silly ... in this b'yard the
neighbours must think I'm nuts when I go and inspect my fruit trees, vegies
etc. a few times a day! (I know I shouldn't worry what the neighbours think,
but I do like my privacy! Oh, to live in the country!)

So, considering I'm a student on a budget, what is the least expensive and
fastest growing plants to put down my side fence for a privacy screen? They
need to be at least 2 metres tall ... but the bigger the better! To cover a
distance of about 4-5 metres! A big ask in a short period I know!

Cheers,
Mick

Old 17-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Wallaby

Well Mick there is no indication of where you are; some even don't read the
"aus" part of the newsgroup and can be calling from Europe?

Old 17-06-2004, 04:02 PM
MC

Fair enough Wallaby ... thanks for pointing that out - I'm fairly new to all
this newsgroup stuff!

I am in Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Cheers,
Mick

Old 18-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Wallaby

Mick, what about a group of native Frangipanis, don't know how much room you
have but a mate of mine here in Syd has grown them as they will grow in a
"grove" area about 3M wide from fence to house. He has a block of flats as
well and these are reasonably fast and grow tall. They don't have heavy
branches to damage 'if' they fall. Glossy leaves and perfumed flowers like
the exotic Frangipanis.
Cheers, Wallaby

Old 19-06-2004, 10:09 AM
David Hare-Scott

"MC" none wrote in message ...
[...]

Acacias (ie wattle family) are mostly fast to very fast growing. A little
research will identify the species (of the hundreds) that will suit your
area and grow the size that you want. They are usually quite cheap. Some
species are short lived giving up after 5-10 years (but not all) and by then
you can have some other long lived species coming along. Try your nearest
forestry nursery for good advice and economical seedlings.

David

Old 22-06-2004, 12:07 PM
freebird

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Acacias (ie wattle family) are mostly fast to very fast growing. A

little
research will identify the species (of the hundreds) that will suit your
area and grow the size that you want. They are usually quite cheap.

Some
species are short lived giving up after 5-10 years (but not all) and by

then
you can have some other long lived species coming along. Try your

nearest
forestry nursery for good advice and economical seedlings.

David

I love wattles, I got them in my front and backyard. They grow fast indeed
and
look lovely even when not in flower. Some of my grevilleas have grown a lot
taller and quicker than expected as well.

barb

Gardening problem quick covering plants Stevenl Gardening 4 29-10-2010 01:10 AM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 08:27 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 08-02-2003 08:27 PM