Old 20-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Piotr Farbiszewski

Default CO2, pH, and Snails

Kris wrote:

I have and continue to work in a number of public swimming pools, and
the statements I read in the above post disturb me greatly

that's because you know very little about chemistry.

Of course it doesn't contribute to algae growth - free chlorine is the
primary active sanitizer used in 99% of public pools, because it is so
cheap and

HCl has nothing to do with form of Cl used to sanitize swimming pools.

***because it oxidizes any biological material it comes into contact
with! hence the burning eyes and itchy skin when you swim in a pool with
to high of levels of Chlorine***

The remaining chlorine after oxidization is called chloramines. Which
also is an oxidizer but acts at a much slower rate.

When someone tells you to treat your water for chlorine and chloramine
prior to adding it to your tank - IT'S FOR GOOD REASON!!!

no, it's because he doesn't know what he's talking about. besides, chlorine
is not an oxidizer, chloramine is not either - oxygen is.

If you are worried about cost try using a more natural pH reducer -
longer-lasting, and more benefits.

eg. crushed coral added to your substrate - reduces pH, adds calcium to
the tank which is beneficial as a pH buffer and a needed nutrient for
many plants and animals.

you must be joking, crushed coral actually _increases_ pH, it always did,
always will.

PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT USE HCl AS A pH REDUCER

Kris

please, do not tell ppl what they should do if you don't know the subject.

ghrom
--
http://ghrom.com