Old 21-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Is 130gph enough filtration/water movment for a 55G planted tank?

I started playing around with my Fluval 404 in preparation for getting my
55G planted tank finally setup. I have a bunch of plumbing connected to it
(partly base tmax's design) and according to my calculations/tests I
have a flow rate of around 130gph (down from the 225gph with nothing
connected).

First I'm wondering if this is enough filtration. I'm planning on this
being a medium planted tank with a medium to heavy fish load. I know I can
just add a HOB filter and be safe, but I would prefer to stay away from HOBs
if possible.

Second, I'm wondering if I will have enough current in this tank. I know
it's hard to say without knowing exactly which fish I will have, but I'm
hoping to get a mix, some that like current, some that might not. So would
130gph provide enough current for your average planted community tank or
should I consider adding a power head, and if so, how strong?

Thanks,
Harry