Old 21-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Pyrethrum spray system

Doctoroe wrote:
Pyrethrum is a botanical derived insecticide made from some types of
flowers. It is potent, although not as toxic as some other pesticides.
I would think it would kill most insects, period. Be very surprised
if it would really do much damage to your property ecosystem since it
would be set up on the perameter. If you do decide to install one, let
us know how it works.
If the system sprayed sevin or some systemic insecticide poison, I
would be more concerned.

OTOH, I seem to recall that it may be very bad for fish in ornamental
ponds. If you have a garden pond, I would do some research on this.
Even if the spray is not at the pond, one must consider if runoff could
make it into the pond.

I have a pond and lots of wildlife in my yard so I have pretty much
given up using any kind of spray. About all I use is wettable dusting
sulfur (when it's right to use it) and diotamaceous earth. Fortunately,
the frog and toad population that I am trying to encourage appears to be
starting to really help keep down the insects in the yard.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu