Old 20-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC
Default Pyrethrum spray system

I need advice from anyone who knows about pyrethrum sprays. I have put a large downpayment on a permanent yard spray system to get rid of mosquitoes. I am concerned about upsetting the ecosystem in my yard, however, as I am not sure just what, besides mosquitoes and biting gnats, this will kill. It is to be used at a .005 concentation, but will automatically spray 2 - 4 times a day. It this a good thing or bad?? Please help me decide....
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~
Old 21-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Anne Lurie

Kathie,

I have never heard of a "permanent spray system" but I believe that
*anything* that sprays pesticide automatically -- whether or not pests
are present -- is NOT a good thing.

Can you give us a few more details? The name of the system manufacturer?
Does it spray year round? (and are mosquitoes present year round in your
area?) Will you, or pets, or children be in the yard when the automatic
spraying is done?

Anne Lurie

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 21-06-2004, 06:09 PM

In article , Kathie wrote:

I need advice from anyone who knows about pyrethrum sprays. I have put
a large downpayment on a permanent yard spray system to get rid of
mosquitoes. I am concerned about upsetting the ecosystem in my yard,
however, as I am not sure just what, besides mosquitoes and biting
gnats, this will kill. It is to be used at a .005 concentation, but
will automatically spray 2 - 4 times a day. It this a good thing or
bad?? Please help me decide....

Got a url on it? I am not in favor of just spraying 2-4 times a day
just for the heck of it. Are you outdoors that much? Does it come wi
a satisfaction or you money back option? Is the business local.

I have heard some reports that the larger mosquito magnet devices
actually do work and they don't use any insecticide.

This to me is akin to over use of antibiotics. This may cause the
mosquitos to become resisttant to the insecticide.

My opinion would be no

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 21-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Doctoroe

Pyrethrum is a botanical derived insecticide made from some types of
flowers. It is potent, although not as toxic as some other pesticides.
I would think it would kill most insects, period. Be very surprised
if it would really do much damage to your property ecosystem since it
would be set up on the perameter. If you do decide to install one, let
us know how it works.
If the system sprayed sevin or some systemic insecticide poison, I
would be more concerned.
Old 21-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Susan H. Simko

Doctoroe wrote:
Pyrethrum is a botanical derived insecticide made from some types of
flowers. It is potent, although not as toxic as some other pesticides.
I would think it would kill most insects, period. Be very surprised
if it would really do much damage to your property ecosystem since it
would be set up on the perameter. If you do decide to install one, let
us know how it works.
If the system sprayed sevin or some systemic insecticide poison, I
would be more concerned.

OTOH, I seem to recall that it may be very bad for fish in ornamental
ponds. If you have a garden pond, I would do some research on this.
Even if the spray is not at the pond, one must consider if runoff could
make it into the pond.

I have a pond and lots of wildlife in my yard so I have pretty much
given up using any kind of spray. About all I use is wettable dusting
sulfur (when it's right to use it) and diotamaceous earth. Fortunately,
the frog and toad population that I am trying to encourage appears to be
starting to really help keep down the insects in the yard.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 23-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Myrmecodia

I've never heard of such a system and don't know how effective it
would be. I would be concerned about some of its possible side
effects, though. Pyrethrin (or synthetic pyrethroids) will kill all
insects, including beneficials like dragonflies and bees. Pyrethroid
insecticides are also toxic to fish and amphibians. I'd also be bit
worried about the insects evolving resistance to the pesticide after
repeated applications. Resistance to pyrethrin has been reported many
times in different insect species.

I would talk to your local agricultural extension office and also ask
the manufacturer for literature addressing these possible drawbacks.

Old 23-06-2004, 09:11 PM

In article , Myrmecodia wrote:
I've never heard of such a system and don't know how effective it
would be. I would be concerned about some of its possible side
effects, though. Pyrethrin (or synthetic pyrethroids) will kill all
insects, including beneficials like dragonflies and bees. Pyrethroid
insecticides are also toxic to fish and amphibians. I'd also be bit
worried about the insects evolving resistance to the pesticide after
repeated applications. Resistance to pyrethrin has been reported many
times in different insect species.

I would talk to your local agricultural extension office and also ask
the manufacturer for literature addressing these possible drawbacks.

Somebody in the triangle is selling them. I got one of those packet of
advertising postcards and someone is selling them. It has a url, I will
try to remember to post it.

To me this is like wearing a condom 24 hours per day but you are having
sex only once a week. Few people spend that much time in their yard and
there are other methods of accomplishing the same thing.