Old 22-06-2004, 03:03 AM
David Ross

Default killing bamboo

Snooze wrote:

I've tried spraying round up on the leaves/canes and letting it die back, it
doesn't work. The leaves die back, and it sprouts new leaves along with more
canes. Spaying and waiting a few days seems to produce the longest results.

The shock produced by round up, plus digging up as many roots as i can find
causes the bamboo to use up as much of it's stored energy. But in the
interest of an experiment, I've left a patch of bamboo alone, after
spraying. Let's see if the directions work this time.

If you must use Roundup, here is a suggestion. Dilute it to only
75% of its usual strength. That keeps it from killing too quickly,
from killing top growth before it has a chance to translocate
throughout the roots and runners. From your first paragraph above,
you are indeed killing the top growth without reaching the
underground growth.

This method, however, requires that you respray about once every
1-2 months. About 3 weeks after each spraying, use a high-nitrogen
fertilizer in the area and water thoroughly to encourage new bamboo
growth. That new growth is most susceptible to absorbing and
translocating Roundup.

When you do not get any new growth 2 months after the last
spraying, you are done.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/