Old 21-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Snooze

Default killing bamboo

I have two different bamboo problems.

First is one of my neighbors has a bamboo plant, that occasionally likes to
send a cane onto our side of the fence, this is a clumping variety, so
containing it, is usually a pruning of the cane.

The second problem is much more difficult. The previous owners had planted a
variety of bamboo that sends runners. They had planted it in a buried pot,
but of course it escaped the containment attempts. We've since removed the
plant, but have been deal with the thousands of segmented runners, my
strategy so far has been to spray the canes with round-up, wait a few days,
then dig up as much of the runner as I can find.

Anyone have any better suggestions? It's been 2 years now, and I don't know
how many runner segments still have a will to survive.

Snooze

Old 21-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Ron Hardin

Use it to build scaffolding, or treat skin disorders, or a thousand other
things http:/rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/japancut.bamboo.ra
(a strange interview recorded off Radio Japan with a bamboo expert)
--
Ron Hardin

Old 21-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

Use it to build scaffolding, or treat skin disorders, or a thousand other
things http:/rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/japancut.bamboo.ra
(a strange interview recorded off Radio Japan with a bamboo expert)

sorry dropped a `m' and a `/'

http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/japancut.bamboo.ram
--
Ron Hardin

Old 21-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Beecrofter

"Snooze" wrote in message m...
I have two different bamboo problems.

First is one of my neighbors has a bamboo plant, that occasionally likes to
send a cane onto our side of the fence, this is a clumping variety, so
containing it, is usually a pruning of the cane.

The second problem is much more difficult. The previous owners had planted a
variety of bamboo that sends runners. They had planted it in a buried pot,
but of course it escaped the containment attempts. We've since removed the
plant, but have been deal with the thousands of segmented runners, my
strategy so far has been to spray the canes with round-up, wait a few days,
then dig up as much of the runner as I can find.

Anyone have any better suggestions? It's been 2 years now, and I don't know
how many runner segments still have a will to survive.

Snooze

Why are you bothering with the roundup if you can't be bothered to
follow the label directions?
Old 21-06-2004, 07:02 PM
David Ross

Snooze wrote [in part]:

The second problem is much more difficult. The previous owners had planted a
variety of bamboo that sends runners. They had planted it in a buried pot,
but of course it escaped the containment attempts. We've since removed the
plant, but have been deal with the thousands of segmented runners, my
strategy so far has been to spray the canes with round-up, wait a few days,
then dig up as much of the runner as I can find.

Since you are trying to kill only one type of plant and not a broad
spectrum of plants, don't use a broad spectrum herbicide such as
Roundup. (No, I'm not against Roundup. I use it myself -- but
only for general cleanup of an area, not for only one kind of
plant.)

Bamboo is a grass. Go to a comprehensive nursery and get a grass
killer. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.

Old 21-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Snooze

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
m...
"Snooze" wrote in message

m...
[...]

I've tried spraying round up on the leaves/canes and letting it die back, it
doesn't work. The leaves die back, and it sprouts new leaves along with more
canes. Spaying and waiting a few days seems to produce the longest results.

The shock produced by round up, plus digging up as many roots as i can find
causes the bamboo to use up as much of it's stored energy. But in the
interest of an experiment, I've left a patch of bamboo alone, after
spraying. Let's see if the directions work this time.

Snooze

Old 21-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Christopher Green

"Snooze" wrote in message m...
I have two different bamboo problems.

First is one of my neighbors has a bamboo plant, that occasionally likes to
send a cane onto our side of the fence, this is a clumping variety, so
containing it, is usually a pruning of the cane.

The second problem is much more difficult. The previous owners had planted a
variety of bamboo that sends runners. They had planted it in a buried pot,
but of course it escaped the containment attempts. We've since removed the
plant, but have been deal with the thousands of segmented runners, my
strategy so far has been to spray the canes with round-up, wait a few days,
then dig up as much of the runner as I can find.

Anyone have any better suggestions? It's been 2 years now, and I don't know
how many runner segments still have a will to survive.

Snooze

Running kinds of bamboo are a pain to kill off. Even translocating
herbicides like glyphosate (Roundup) kill only the top growth, not the
runners. If you keep killing or removing top growth, eventually you
will starve the runners. If this is too slow for you, digging them up
is the fastest way.

--
Chris Green
Old 22-06-2004, 03:03 AM
David Ross

Snooze wrote:

I've tried spraying round up on the leaves/canes and letting it die back, it
doesn't work. The leaves die back, and it sprouts new leaves along with more
canes. Spaying and waiting a few days seems to produce the longest results.

The shock produced by round up, plus digging up as many roots as i can find
causes the bamboo to use up as much of it's stored energy. But in the
interest of an experiment, I've left a patch of bamboo alone, after
spraying. Let's see if the directions work this time.

If you must use Roundup, here is a suggestion. Dilute it to only
75% of its usual strength. That keeps it from killing too quickly,
from killing top growth before it has a chance to translocate
throughout the roots and runners. From your first paragraph above,
you are indeed killing the top growth without reaching the
underground growth.

This method, however, requires that you respray about once every
1-2 months. About 3 weeks after each spraying, use a high-nitrogen
fertilizer in the area and water thoroughly to encourage new bamboo
growth. That new growth is most susceptible to absorbing and
translocating Roundup.

When you do not get any new growth 2 months after the last
spraying, you are done.

Old 23-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

Way back when...before Roundup came on the scene...I had difficulty getting
rid of another plant with rhizomes - bermuda grass. Finally stumbled across
vapam, which did a bang up job. Of course, it killed everything else as
well. Make sure you follow directions.

Old 28-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Bob Chipeska

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
ink.net...
Way back when...before Roundup came on the scene...I had difficulty

getting
rid of another plant with rhizomes - bermuda grass. Finally stumbled

across
vapam, which did a bang up job. Of course, it killed everything else as
well. Make sure you follow directions.

I loathe Bermuda grass almost as much as the morons who sod/seed it. It is
the kudzu of lawns and flower beds.

Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 AM

In article ,
Bob Chipeska wrote:

I loathe Bermuda grass almost as much as the morons who sod/seed it. It is
the kudzu of lawns and flower beds.

To make it even "better" I'm allergic to Bermuda grass.

[IMG] code is On

Am I Killing My Bamboo? hardcoresoldier Bamboo 4 21-07-2010 08:59 PM
killing bamboo me Gardening 6 20-07-2005 01:48 PM
Killing Bamboo Hmm United Kingdom 6 11-04-2005 10:25 PM
Bamboo wanted. Have Black bamboo and "Alphonse Karr" Annabel United Kingdom 2 12-06-2003 03:56 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM