Old 22-06-2004, 04:07 AM
NetMax

Default Is 130gph enough filtration/water movment for a 55G planted tank?

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
I started playing around with my Fluval 404 in preparation for getting

my
55G planted tank finally setup. I have a bunch of plumbing connected

to it
(partly base tmax's design) and according to my

calculations/tests I
have a flow rate of around 130gph (down from the 225gph with nothing
connected).

First I'm wondering if this is enough filtration. I'm planning on this
being a medium planted tank with a medium to heavy fish load. I know I

can
just add a HOB filter and be safe, but I would prefer to stay away from

HOBs
if possible.

Second, I'm wondering if I will have enough current in this tank. I

know
it's hard to say without knowing exactly which fish I will have, but

I'm
hoping to get a mix, some that like current, some that might not. So

would
130gph provide enough current for your average planted community tank

or
should I consider adding a power head, and if so, how strong?

Thanks,
Harry

The 404 does 340 gph and is rated for 100g. Even with manufacturer's
optimistic ratings, and the restriction added by your plumbing, I think
the 404 will still be plenty on a 50g. At work, I have a well planted
135g running on a single 404. My fish load is about 150 small tetras &
rasboras (plants are a big part of my filtration). I also have a planted
55g (tall 4 foot tank) Angelfish-only tank running off a 304 or a 404 (I
swap parts so it might actually be a 304 base on a 404 motor or
vice-versa ;~). Fish-load varies from about 20 four inch Angels, to an
additional 50 two inch Angels (3 inch/per gallon). Tank gets lots of
regular maintenance, but I have no issues with re-oxygenation or ammonia.
This configuration is max'ed, and not suitable for a home tank, but it
might help with your perspective.

Whether it's enough turbulence is something you determine when the tank
is running with all your break-waters installed. The specs have you in
the right ball-park with power to spare, but the filter slows down as it
collects debris (and plants grow to block flow), so you want it to be a
bit over-powered initially. This fine-tuning is usually done by
orienting the return spigot.

Generally speaking, you don't need much turbulence in a well-planted tank
(imo). Just enough to provide a gentle flow around. In a 55g, this can
be achieved with 100gpH. Leave an open area for any fish who wants to
swim in the higher flow rates (riverine catfish, loaches etc), and
everyone else will be enjoying the tranquility )
--
www.NetMax.tk