Old 22-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Is 130gph enough filtration/water movment for a 55G planted tank?

"Paul" wrote in message

Harry Muscle wrote in message ...
I started playing around with my Fluval 404 in preparation for getting my
55G planted tank finally setup. I have a bunch of plumbing connected to

it
(partly base tmax's design) and according to my calculations/tests

have a flow rate of around 130gph (down from the 225gph with nothing
connected).

First I'm wondering if this is enough filtration. I'm planning on this
being a medium planted tank with a medium to heavy fish load. I know I

can
just add a HOB filter and be safe, but I would prefer to stay away from

HOBs
if possible.

Second, I'm wondering if I will have enough current in this tank. I know
it's hard to say without knowing exactly which fish I will have, but I'm
hoping to get a mix, some that like current, some that might not. So

would
130gph provide enough current for your average planted community tank or
should I consider adding a power head, and if so, how strong?

Thanks,
Harry

if I could give you one word of advise: do a physical test with a

measuring
container and a stop watch for your gph reading. it will be alot less than
the mathematical estimate. you should turn your tank over at least 3 times
an hour

I measured exactly how long it took for a bunch of bubbles to travel from
the filter to the outlet, I then did the math to figure out how much water
volume is in the pipes between the filter and the outlet and then converted
all of this to gph. I know that measuring the speed of bubbles isn't the
best way to figure out gph, since they don't always travel at the exact same
speed as the water around them, but it's a pretty close estimate. And since
my outlet is permanently plumbed into the tank with PVC pipes, it's way
easier to do this.

Harry