Old 23-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Bonsai from 1945 Japan?

Anita Hawkins wrote:

Dusty G. wrote:
There was some mention about a bonsai tree(s) that survived the bomb,
and a website. Does anyone still have that information and/or site link?

Hi Dusty - there are many webistes, but the NBF's is the
most extensive, with fascinating photos and updates:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/hiroshimasurvivor/

One of the survivor trees is in the collection at the
National Arb, where I had the pleasure of visiting with it
recently.

Grow well,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6

So did I. In fact, Anita and I visited it together! It looked very happy and
healthy.

In reference to the Yama Ki pine, the one in question, I was wondering if anyone
knows if the tree is a graft of white pine to a black pine trunk. I'm asking
because for the first time I noticed that the trunk ends rather abruptly, almost
like a broom style, and there seems to be a bit of a shoulder just below the point
where the branches begin to fan out from the trunk. You don't see this when you
look at the tree straight on, only if you look up into the crown. I'm curious as
to how far back the practice of this type of graft goes.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++