Old 23-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Dusty G.

Default [IBC] Bonsai from 1945 Japan?

There was some mention about a bonsai tree(s) that survived the bomb,
and a website. Does anyone still have that information and/or site link? It
would be much appreciated. Thanks much,

Dusty
-----------------------------------
Walk in Beauty
Traditional Facets
Gemstones, Jewelry, Faceted Opals, Calligraphy & Oriental art supplies,
Author of the Rendezvous Cooking series, Birthstones Through the Ages,
The Runes, Gemstone & wood rune sets, Panther Tent dealer.
-----------------------------------

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-06-2004, 04:04 AM
Jim Lewis

There was some mention about a bonsai tree(s) that survived
the bomb,
and a website. Does anyone still have that information and/or

site link? It
would be much appreciated. Thanks much,

The tree is at the U.S. National Arboretum. There are pics he
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/hiroshimasurvivor/

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-06-2004, 04:04 AM
Anita Hawkins

Dusty G. wrote:
There was some mention about a bonsai tree(s) that survived the bomb,
and a website. Does anyone still have that information and/or site link?

Hi Dusty - there are many webistes, but the NBF's is the
most extensive, with fascinating photos and updates:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/hiroshimasurvivor/

One of the survivor trees is in the collection at the
National Arb, where I had the pleasure of visiting with it
recently.

Grow well,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I am not bound for any public place, but for ground of my
own where I have planted vines and orchard trees, and in the
heat of the day climbed up into the healing shadow of the
woods. Better than any argument is to rise at dawn and pick
dew-wet red berries in a cup."
~Wendell Berry

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-06-2004, 04:04 AM
Robert J. Baran

Dusty,

Please see the listing for the 6th day of August in
www.phoenixbonsai.com/Days/DaysAug.html . After reading that entry, check
out the first two hyperlinks in the article.

Cordially,

Robert J. Baran
Historian
Phoenix Bonsai Society
Sunset Zone 10, Outside of Kingman

There was some mention about a bonsai tree(s) that survived the bomb,
and a website. Does anyone still have that information and/or site link?

It
would be much appreciated. Thanks much,

Dusty
-----------------------------------
Walk in Beauty
Traditional Facets
Gemstones, Jewelry, Faceted Opals, Calligraphy & Oriental art supplies,
Author of the Rendezvous Cooking series, Birthstones Through the Ages,
The Runes, Gemstone & wood rune sets, Panther Tent dealer.
-----------------------------------

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Craig Cowing

Anita Hawkins wrote:

Dusty G. wrote:
There was some mention about a bonsai tree(s) that survived the bomb,
and a website. Does anyone still have that information and/or site link?

Hi Dusty - there are many webistes, but the NBF's is the
most extensive, with fascinating photos and updates:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/hiroshimasurvivor/

One of the survivor trees is in the collection at the
National Arb, where I had the pleasure of visiting with it
recently.

Grow well,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6

So did I. In fact, Anita and I visited it together! It looked very happy and
healthy.

In reference to the Yama Ki pine, the one in question, I was wondering if anyone
knows if the tree is a graft of white pine to a black pine trunk. I'm asking
because for the first time I noticed that the trunk ends rather abruptly, almost
like a broom style, and there seems to be a bit of a shoulder just below the point
where the branches begin to fan out from the trunk. You don't see this when you
look at the tree straight on, only if you look up into the crown. I'm curious as
to how far back the practice of this type of graft goes.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Dusty G.

Thanks so much for all your help. We were watching TV, something about
the bomb, and I mentioned the bonsai. My DH was actually quite interested
so I looked & my link was gone. Hey, anytime he shows interest in what he
calls my 'weed collection', I encourage it. He now knows better than to
call them weeds when I'm watering tho G.

We plan to build a potting shed that will also be used to winter z-6
plants in. I also may be getting a greenhouse, either a HoopHouse or a used
20'x60' a neighbor has.

Old 24-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Tom Kehoe

Dusty,