Old 24-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Unattended Pre-Bonsai -- possible?

I would agree with Brian's response to this question. However, if
there is a time of year with consistent rain it still might work.
Or if planted in early winter when the trees are dormant and given a
good snowfall, the melting snow might provide the needed moisture to get the
plants started.
Without irrigation you would be like the average farmer. There will
be good years and bad years. If you only plant a few fairly common,
inexpensive trees, you might take a chance.

But, realize your are taking a chance.

In a message dated 6/24/2004 12:45:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

My family owns undeveloped property outside of Visalia, California. I

asked Mom (the owner)
if I could put some pre-bonsia in the ground. She thinks that the trees

would die due to lack
of attention ( it's 6 hours away).
It's hot in the summer and may get some snow in winter. My plan to put

hardy local types up
there (oak, pepper, juniper, pine, sequoia, etc) that have nice rootballs

in well prepared
beds. I could visit 2-4 times a year. Certainly, I need to do much more

research ...

What does the group thinks my chances of success might be?

Bob,
This is not specifically a bonsai response, but plants in general. I
think you have great chance of success except for 1 thing. You will need to
stay with the plants for the first 4 - 6 weeks to keep the water up to them
while they get settled in...

Brian

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislek of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++