Old 24-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Unattended Pre-Bonsai -- possible?

All is not lost. Perhaps there are collectables on
Granny's land.

Growing in the ground has advantages and
disadvantages. The major disadvantage is having the
feeder roots way down there. I have a growing ground
that has had top pruning and side root pruning with a
sharp shovel. I went to dig some up and found that
the trees where I thought I had removed the tap root
had developed new taps that may reach China. This is
in wet soil.

I now have the project of promoting roots higher up
before removal from ground to pots. We are digging
down on one side of the tree, scratching bark,
applying rooting hormones and filling with more porous
soils. I did this with an oak donated by the
squirrels and it worked quite well.

Kitsune Miko

=====
"I was born with a birth defect-- no herd instinct."
Brenda Ueland

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++