Old 26-06-2004, 04:02 AM
SamMan

Default Windburn to leaves :(

"Moonflower" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Phyllostachys aurea a week ago which I have planted in a
large container.
The last couple of days we have had severe winds where I live,and
although i tried my best to protect my bamboo from the wind it has
suffered windburn.A lot of the leaves are curled up,drooping and dry
looking - its looking a bit sorry for itself

Is there anything I can do to help it recover - or will the leaves die
and drop off anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advise
--
Moonflower

One indication that a plant is not getting enough water is the leaves will
roll up. I planted a 1 gal. Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis a couple
of months ago in our back yard (zone 5). We live in a new development, with
no windbreaks. It very often gets quite windy here too. The first 2-3 weeks,
I watered the plant at least twice a day with a 2.5 gal bucket. I now water
it deeply once a day. It is surving the wind just fine, even growing new
leaves.

I had been told that until the plant gets astablished, it needs a lot of
water, but not to the point of it waterlogging the plant, i.e. poor draining
soil.

HTH

--

SamMan