Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Trees???????????????????

"Dermuid" wrote in message after I asked some questions
: What sort of trees died?
2 were silver birch, the leaves died off after the first year, nothing

this
year, the other one I am not sure what it was but the trunk split, looks
like it completely dried out.

I have 3 more birches at the front of the house but they are OK, plenty of
leaves and new branches plus they have grown a bit in height, the 3 that
died were at the back of the house.

: What were the symptoms before death?
No growth of leaves, the tops of the birch were so rotted that they broke
off when I shook the trunks.

: Did you get the roots removed? Where there any strange things about the
: roots?
I cant tell you that, I did not plant them.

: Have you done anything to the soil they were in since?
No.

I would have thought this may have been a problem due to last years very hot
weather and drought seeing as it was their first year in the ground. Strange
that it should only affect the trees in your back garden though, did the
ones at the front get some water, car washing perhaps, ditch or stream
nearby?
My suspicion that it may be Honey Fungus is doubtful now considering the
short time they were in the ground.

:
: What sort of trees are you after?
Any trees really, ones that can survive a bit of dry weather.

Evergreen or Deciduous, flowering or not,
: fruit or not, are they needed for a screen/hedging?
: Sun or shade?
Something nice that flowers but is easy to maintain, 2 will be in the sun
one will be in partial shade when planted.

: What part of the Country?
Buckinghamshire.

: Do you know your soil type?
Soil type is clay with chalk bits and flint in it.

All that and only to 20ft tall. That's a small tree. :-)

Suggestions are (as long as it's not too chalky) ......

Amelanchier laevis or canadensis
Prunus (most varieties) (Flowering Cherrys)
Malus varieties (Crab Apples)
Cornus (various) (Dogwoods)
Crataegus (various) (Hawthorns)

No doubt others willl come up with some interesting ideas.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....