Old 26-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Dermuid

Default Trees???????????????????

Hi all,

I need to get some trees to replace the dead ones, why they died I do not
know, lasted 2 yrs

Anyway, I am looking for tree's that will survive this time.

Something that will grow no more than 20 ft high looks nice and some tips on
planting them.

Thanks.

Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Bob Hobden

"Dermuid" wrote in message
I need to get some trees to replace the dead ones, why they died I do not
know, lasted 2 yrs

Anyway, I am looking for tree's that will survive this time.

Something that will grow no more than 20 ft high looks nice and some tips

on
planting them.

A few questions the answers to which will help get a suitable reply......

What sort of trees died?
What were the symptoms before death?
Did you get the roots removed? Where there any strange things about the
roots?
Have you done anything to the soil they were in since?

What sort of trees are you after? Evergreen or Deciduous, flowering or not,
fruit or not, are they needed for a screen/hedging?
Sun or shade?
What part of the Country?
Are you near the Coast?
Do you know your soil type?

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:19:52 +0100, "Dermuid"
wrote:

I need to get some trees to replace the dead ones, why they died I do not
know, lasted 2 yrs

Is it possible that they died through lack of water in last summer's
drought? When did you realise they were dead? Do you have very
free-draining soil?
Deciduous trees may have dropped their leaves at the end of last year
and all seemed normal but they may have been dying then.
Silver birch are pretty foolproof and eucalyptus don't mind dry
conditions. Either look good planted in 3s if you have room.
We need the answers to Bob's questions.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Dermuid

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Hi Bob,

: A few questions the answers to which will help get a suitable reply......
:
: What sort of trees died?

2 were silver birch, the leaves died off after the first year, nothing this
year, the other one I am not sure what it was but the trunk split, looks
like it completely dried out.

I have 3 more birches at the front of the house but they are OK, plenty of
leaves and new branches plus they have grown a bit in height, the 3 that
died were at the back of the house.

: What were the symptoms before death?

No growth of leaves, the tops of the birch were so rotted that they broke
off when I shook the trunks.

: Did you get the roots removed? Where there any strange things about the
: roots?

I cant tell you that, I did not plant them.

: Have you done anything to the soil they were in since?

No.

:
: What sort of trees are you after?

Any trees really, ones that can survive a bit of dry weather.

Evergreen or Deciduous, flowering or not,
: fruit or not, are they needed for a screen/hedging?
: Sun or shade?

Something nice that flowers but is easy to maintain, 2 will be in the sun
one will be in partial shade when planted.

: What part of the Country?

Buckinghamshire.

: Are you near the Coast?

No

: Do you know your soil type?

Soil type is clay with chalk bits and flint in it.

Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Bob Hobden

"Dermuid" wrote in message after I asked some questions
: What sort of trees died?
2 were silver birch, the leaves died off after the first year, nothing

this
year, the other one I am not sure what it was but the trunk split, looks
like it completely dried out.

I have 3 more birches at the front of the house but they are OK, plenty of
leaves and new branches plus they have grown a bit in height, the 3 that
died were at the back of the house.

: What were the symptoms before death?
No growth of leaves, the tops of the birch were so rotted that they broke
off when I shook the trunks.

: Did you get the roots removed? Where there any strange things about the
: roots?
I cant tell you that, I did not plant them.

: Have you done anything to the soil they were in since?
No.

I would have thought this may have been a problem due to last years very hot
weather and drought seeing as it was their first year in the ground. Strange
that it should only affect the trees in your back garden though, did the
ones at the front get some water, car washing perhaps, ditch or stream
nearby?
My suspicion that it may be Honey Fungus is doubtful now considering the
short time they were in the ground.

:
: What sort of trees are you after?
Any trees really, ones that can survive a bit of dry weather.

Evergreen or Deciduous, flowering or not,
: fruit or not, are they needed for a screen/hedging?
: Sun or shade?
Something nice that flowers but is easy to maintain, 2 will be in the sun
one will be in partial shade when planted.

: What part of the Country?
Buckinghamshire.

: Do you know your soil type?
Soil type is clay with chalk bits and flint in it.

All that and only to 20ft tall. That's a small tree. :-)

Suggestions are (as long as it's not too chalky) ......

Amelanchier laevis or canadensis
Prunus (most varieties) (Flowering Cherrys)
Malus varieties (Crab Apples)
Cornus (various) (Dogwoods)
Crataegus (various) (Hawthorns)

No doubt others willl come up with some interesting ideas.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Dermuid

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
[...]
: No.
:
: I would have thought this may have been a problem due to last years very
hot
: weather and drought seeing as it was their first year in the ground.
Strange
: that it should only affect the trees in your back garden though, did the
: ones at the front get some water, car washing perhaps, ditch or stream
: nearby?

The ones at the front probably benefitted from being mostly in the shade,
the ones at the back are south facing and would have been in the sun for
most of the day.

: My suspicion that it may be Honey Fungus is doubtful now considering the
: short time they were in the ground.
:

I think now I understand what has happened, the hot weather last summer done
them in, I must make sure I water the next lot.

: :
: : What sort of trees are you after?
: Any trees really, ones that can survive a bit of dry weather.
:
: Evergreen or Deciduous, flowering or not,
: : fruit or not, are they needed for a screen/hedging?
: : Sun or shade?
: Something nice that flowers but is easy to maintain, 2 will be in the
sun
: one will be in partial shade when planted.
:
: : What part of the Country?
: Buckinghamshire.
:
: : Do you know your soil type?
: Soil type is clay with chalk bits and flint in it.
:
:
: All that and only to 20ft tall. That's a small tree. :-)

Ok, maybe up to thirty ft tall

:
: Suggestions are (as long as it's not too chalky) ......
:
: Amelanchier laevis or canadensis
: Prunus (most varieties) (Flowering Cherrys)
: Malus varieties (Crab Apples)
: Cornus (various) (Dogwoods)
: Crataegus (various) (Hawthorns)
:
: No doubt others willl come up with some interesting ideas.
:

The flowering cherry sounds good, I must look it up, are they easy to get?
will garden centres stock them, I will need them to be about 10 ft tall to
start off with.
Are there any good tree suppliers who can deliver that you would care to
recommend.

Thanks Bob.

Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:15:42 +0100, "Dermuid"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "Dermuid" wrote in message after I asked some questions

: : What sort of trees are you after?
: Any trees really, ones that can survive a bit of dry weather.

snip

The flowering cherry sounds good, I must look it up, are they easy to get?
will garden centres stock them, I will need them to be about 10 ft tall to
start off with.

If you really must get them 10 ft fall, so be it, but in my experience
the smaller the tree to start with, the stronger it will be
eventually. You would be surprised how soon they catch up.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 26-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Dermuid

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

:
: If you really must get them 10 ft fall, so be it, but in my experience
: the smaller the tree to start with, the stronger it will be
: eventually. You would be surprised how soon they catch up.
:
:

Hi Sally,

I afraid I must get them at least 10' tall, they are for a communal area
rather than a private garden but its nice to know that the smaller the tree
when planted the better in the long run

Old 26-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Sacha

On 26/6/04 0:15, in article ,
"Dermuid" wrote:

snip

The flowering cherry sounds good, I must look it up, are they easy to get?
will garden centres stock them, I will need them to be about 10 ft tall to
start off with.
Are there any good tree suppliers who can deliver that you would care to
recommend.

Flowering cherries are lovely but they flower and are over very quickly, so
if you can, try to find trees that will 'stagger' the flowering period for
you. Hoheria are good for late summer, for example and are graceful, though
not bone hardy.
A Cotinus is classified as a shrub and while bushy, it grows to 20'.
Some fruit trees would give you both blossom and fruit, to everyone's
advantage, Hamamelis (witch hazel) has fragrant flowers, Garrya elliptica
has wonderful catkins in winter, Azara has scented yellow flowers in spring,
Clerodendrum trichotomum has fragrant white flowers in late summer (tends to
seed and sucker, though) - all are shrubs, strictly speaking (apart from the
apple) but grow to the height you want eventually. Even small trees tend to
go over 20 ft when fully grown, so if height is that important, you might be
better going for bigger shrubs. Eucalyptus are evergreen, have lovely
varieties of leaf shaped and can be kept at the height you want.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk