Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Dermuid

Default Trees???????????????????

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "Dermuid" wrote in message after I asked some questions
: : What sort of trees died?
: 2 were silver birch, the leaves died off after the first year, nothing
: this
: year, the other one I am not sure what it was but the trunk split, looks
: like it completely dried out.
:
: I have 3 more birches at the front of the house but they are OK, plenty
of
: leaves and new branches plus they have grown a bit in height, the 3 that
: died were at the back of the house.
:
: : What were the symptoms before death?
: No growth of leaves, the tops of the birch were so rotted that they
broke
: off when I shook the trunks.
:
: : Did you get the roots removed? Where there any strange things about
the
: : roots?
: I cant tell you that, I did not plant them.
:
: : Have you done anything to the soil they were in since?
: No.
:
: I would have thought this may have been a problem due to last years very
hot
: weather and drought seeing as it was their first year in the ground.
Strange
: that it should only affect the trees in your back garden though, did the
: ones at the front get some water, car washing perhaps, ditch or stream
: nearby?

The ones at the front probably benefitted from being mostly in the shade,
the ones at the back are south facing and would have been in the sun for
most of the day.

: My suspicion that it may be Honey Fungus is doubtful now considering the
: short time they were in the ground.
:

I think now I understand what has happened, the hot weather last summer done
them in, I must make sure I water the next lot.

: :
: : What sort of trees are you after?
: Any trees really, ones that can survive a bit of dry weather.
:
: Evergreen or Deciduous, flowering or not,
: : fruit or not, are they needed for a screen/hedging?
: : Sun or shade?
: Something nice that flowers but is easy to maintain, 2 will be in the
sun
: one will be in partial shade when planted.
:
: : What part of the Country?
: Buckinghamshire.
:
: : Do you know your soil type?
: Soil type is clay with chalk bits and flint in it.
:
:
: All that and only to 20ft tall. That's a small tree. :-)

Ok, maybe up to thirty ft tall

:
: Suggestions are (as long as it's not too chalky) ......
:
: Amelanchier laevis or canadensis
: Prunus (most varieties) (Flowering Cherrys)
: Malus varieties (Crab Apples)
: Cornus (various) (Dogwoods)
: Crataegus (various) (Hawthorns)
:
: No doubt others willl come up with some interesting ideas.
:

The flowering cherry sounds good, I must look it up, are they easy to get?
will garden centres stock them, I will need them to be about 10 ft tall to
start off with.
Are there any good tree suppliers who can deliver that you would care to
recommend.

Thanks Bob.