Old 26-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Andy Coleman

Default What soil to put into new boarder

Kay wrote in message ...
If it's a wooden fence it will rot the fence - have you checked with
your neighbour that he's happy about this?

[snip]
I had been thinking about that. The garden slopes down away from my
neighbours fence so I in part I will be leveling things out. Also in
places his fence is a bit high so the net effect is that I may cover
just the bottom few inches of his fence. I had been thinking about
putting some sort of plastic sheet along the length to protect the
little bit of fence I do cover.

OK to use B&Q compost but that seems an expensive option. What about
using the soil you dig out for the foundations of the wall? Keep it the
same way up, ie reserve the topmost layer to put on top of the infill.

The soil seems to have a lot of clay so I would like to just put
something in there that is easier to weed. Other people have sugested
top spoil so I may look into this option.

Thanks
Andy