Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Andy Coleman

Default What soil to put into new boarder

Hi,

I am about to put a small wall down the left hand side of my garden
about 0.5 meters from my neighbour's fence. I want to partialy fill
the area with some soil but what should I use? Is it ok to get some
bags of general compost from B&Q and dump them between the wall and
the fence?

Thanks
Andy
Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Bob Hobden

"Andy Coleman" wrote in message
I am about to put a small wall down the left hand side of my garden
about 0.5 meters from my neighbour's fence. I want to partialy fill
the area with some soil but what should I use? Is it ok to get some
bags of general compost from B&Q and dump them between the wall and
the fence?

A soil based compost would be OK, like a John Innes No.2 or 3 type but don't
use a peat based compost, it won't last.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Andy Coleman" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am about to put a small wall down the left hand side of my garden
about 0.5 meters from my neighbour's fence. I want to partialy fill
the area with some soil but what should I use? Is it ok to get some
bags of general compost from B&Q and dump them between the wall and
the fence?

Thanks
Andy

The standard compost is usually peat based and very light - it can be hard
to water and a little insubstantial. I filleed a new isolated bed with spent
compost from tubs and grobags, plus fertiliser, and found it hard to keep
moist in the summer.

You can get bags of topsoil from HomeBase - although John Innes (JI) No.3 is
currently cheaper, which is a loam based compost.

This year I have been mixing a 50ltr (65ltr on offer sometimes) bag of
compost with a 25ltr bag of topsoil or JI No.3 (whichever is cheaper) to try
and achieve a potting compost for my patio tubs which is lighter (and
cheaper) than pure JI No.3 but which isn't so hard to wet again if it dries
out.

This seems to be working O.K. and a mixture of different bags may be best
for what you are intending to do.

If you fancy experimenting then you could try mixing up your own 'new soil'
e.g. from B&Q compost, JI No. 3 compost, 'soil improver' from the council
(made from the recycled green waste) and some horticultural grit to keep the
mixture open and allow drainage. Throw in a bit of mushroom compost to round
it off and you could have quite a nice bed. :-)

I am sure you can buy topsoil from nurseries etc. but I have no idea of the
price or of the minimum volume.

HTH
Dave R

Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Kay

In article , Andy
Coleman writes
Hi,

I am about to put a small wall down the left hand side of my garden
about 0.5 meters from my neighbour's fence. I want to partialy fill
the area with some soil but what should I use? Is it ok to get some
bags of general compost from B&Q and dump them between the wall and
the fence?

If it's a wooden fence it will rot the fence - have you checked with
your neighbour that he's happy about this?

OK to use B&Q compost but that seems an expensive option. What about
using the soil you dig out for the foundations of the wall? Keep it the
same way up, ie reserve the topmost layer to put on top of the infill.
--
Kay

Old 26-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Norman Barker

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

[...]

I have just bought a couple of tons to fill in a gap in the garden from
taking up a concrete path.

I paid £50 a tonne, skip companies deliver top soil and will dump it
outside your house, minimum order it 2 tonnes. You always need more
tonnes of top soil than you think, I would imagine that buying it in
bags could be an expensive option.

Norman

--
Take the DOG out to reply

Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Brian

"Andy Coleman" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am about to put a small wall down the left hand side of my garden
about 0.5 meters from my neighbour's fence. I want to partialy fill
the area with some soil but what should I use? Is it ok to get some
bags of general compost from B&Q and dump them between the wall and
the fence?

Thanks
Andy

---------------------
Your neighbours fence? If wooden then you ought not to have earth up
against it. Keep your wall low and use a minimum of filling. That from the
foundations should suffice~~ as previously suggested.
Regards Brian.

Old 26-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Andy Coleman

Kay wrote in message ...
If it's a wooden fence it will rot the fence - have you checked with
your neighbour that he's happy about this?

[snip]
I had been thinking about that. The garden slopes down away from my
neighbours fence so I in part I will be leveling things out. Also in
places his fence is a bit high so the net effect is that I may cover
just the bottom few inches of his fence. I had been thinking about
putting some sort of plastic sheet along the length to protect the
little bit of fence I do cover.

OK to use B&Q compost but that seems an expensive option. What about
using the soil you dig out for the foundations of the wall? Keep it the
same way up, ie reserve the topmost layer to put on top of the infill.

The soil seems to have a lot of clay so I would like to just put
something in there that is easier to weed. Other people have sugested
top spoil so I may look into this option.

Thanks
Andy