Old 26-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Vox Humana

Default grassy Iris

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I have a couple of clumps of iris but not the bearded type, this type is
standard and grows like a clump of ornamental grass. They're purple. They
didn't flower profusely this season but the green part of the plants is
healthier than it's ever been.

Last time I seperated this huge clump into 2 smaller clumps into "pits" of

very
dark compost but for a couple seasons neither the stalks nor the leaves

would
stay upright as the compost didn't provide a good solid "foundation" NOw

that
the planting medium has naturalized and the plants look sturdy & strong,
they're not flowering.

Do Iris prefer not to be treated to a soft, rich royal meal of home made
compost, when I redivide for better flowering?

It sounds like Siberian Iris "Caeser's brother."
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/33225/
http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/40585/
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=D560

I have a large clump that is about 6 years old. It took a couple of years
to get established and then bloomed well for a couple of years. The last
two years it hasn't bloomed well at all. I think it needs to be divided. I
also think that it is getting too much fertilizer. I try not to fertilize
it directly, but it is on a slope and I suspect that there is nutrient
run-off from the upper part of the bed. They like constant moisture and a
good deal of sun to do well. I wouldn't get to involved with amending the
soil as they probably do better in average soil.